THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO LEARN ENGLISH AT THE NANTUCKET ATHENEUM:
1. ATTEND A CLASS
Weekly group sessions are an opportunity to practice speaking English and to learn new vocabulary.
Thursdays at 6:00 – 7:00 pm
- Beginner class meets in the Atheneum Gallery
- Intermediate class meets in the Atheneum Learning Lab
- Intermediate Group Conversation (Mondays 7:00-8:00 pm)
Beginner English classes – Learn common phrases to build your basic communication skills for everyday life.
Intermediate English classes – Improve your vocabulary and grammar while practicing conversation in a friendly group setting.
For class information or to register for an online class, contact Cheryl at 508-332-0605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. WORK WITH A TUTOR
One-on-one instruction with a volunteer tutor can help beginner and intermediate-level learners build their English language skills.
Tutors can also help learners prepare for the U.S. Citizenship test, write a business letter, or get ready for a job interview. You may have to wait a couple of months to be assigned a tutor, but we will find a tutor to work with you.
- To apply to work with a tutor, contact Cheryl at 508-332-0605 or email@example.com to make an appointment with her. She will ask you what you want to learn and when you have time to study. The appointment will take about 15 minutes.
All teachers and tutors are Literacy Volunteers of the Atheneum who generously contribute their time and enthusiasm.
STUDENT ENROLLMENT FORM
ONLINE RESOURCES FOR LEARNERS & TUTORS
- A4ESL Offers bilingual quizzes on grammar.
- EL Civics U.S. civics with pictures and simple text. Each civics unit has follow up activities such as flashcards, crosswords, or grammar worksheets.
- English Page Interactive grammar and vocabulary exercises for a student to practice alone or with a tutor.
- Language Guide Point and listen. Introduction to basic English.
- Learner’s Dictionary Fun quizzes that test your vocabulary, see the daily answer to a grammar quiz, sign up to receive a new word each day by email.
- Many Things Listen and repeat English sentences. Online vocabulary games and quizzes.
- Medline Plus Tutorial on understanding medical words.
- Mango Languages Sign up for Mango online language instruction. Free use with your Nantucket Atheneum library card.
- Story Corps Short audio clips of people telling their stories. Some of the stories are animated, others show a picture of the people telling the story. A transcript of the story can be viewed to read as you listen.
- Your Dictionary Dictionary and thesaurus on one site. Quotes by famous people with description of how the person is famous. Reference of abbreviations, how to write a business letter, books and literature. Parts of the site can be viewed in Spanish.
- Daily ESL Practice listening, reading, and comprehension skills. Followed by writing and research prompts to expand your understanding and thinking skills.
- elllo English Listening Lesson Library Online for all levels. Short conversations between two people about real life situations. Offers follow up vocabulary and reading comprehension quizzes. Sign up to receive free lessons by email – beginning, intermediate, or advance level!
- My English Pages Lessons, exercises, topic of the month, and informative posts to help you speak and understand the English language.
- ESL Bits Read and listen – classics, short stories, music and more for intermediate to advanced learners.
- LinguaHouse Intermediate-Advanced. Short video clips and follow-up exercises on reading comprehension, vocabulary development, and speaking.
- Real English Videos of street interviews with English speakers to teach listening, vocabulary, and grammar skills for everyday interactions.
- USALearns Can be used by both independent learners and those who study English with a teacher. Useful tools based on video content of three USA Learns courses for beginner to intermediate.
- Using English Online quizzes.
NEWS FOR ENGLISH LEARNERS
- Voice of America Multimedia news information.
- News in Levels World news for students of English. Listen to current issues of the day, with text to read along.
- Rachel’s English Videos and podcasts that teach sounds of American English and listening skills to recognize everyday speech patterns.
- Train Your Accent Listen to short audio clips of everyday activities. Text of the audio is written in formal English, and then it is written as it sounds.
- Jennifer ESL Videos Jennifer ESL, Youtube tutorials
- Cambridge Pronunciation Pairs An introduction to sounds of English. worksheets, audio, answers, sound symbols, likely errors that speakers of certain languages are likely to make when speaking English.
The USCIS Citizenship Resource Center offers official information on naturalization requirements, the application, and the test, and provides some free study materials for the English test and the civics test, including audio of the 100 questions/answers and a multiple choice practice test.
- U.S. Citizenship Resource Center
- U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization
- Form N-400 Application for Naturalization
- Study Materials for the English Test
- Study Materials for the Civics Test
- Civics Test Practice Test
- Citizenship Study Guide An interactive study and practice of the 100 questions and writing exercises. History is provided by subject area.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR TUTORS
- Easy Pace Learning Worksheets helpful as follow up to beginner level lessons.
- English for Everyone Worksheets helpful as follow up to lessons.
- ESL.com Worksheets helpful as follow up to lessons.
- First Literacy Professional Development workshop resources by topic.
- Heads Up English Relevant mini-lessons for beginner to advanced.
- iSLCollective Beginner level worksheets.
- Using English Resources and PDF materials available for beginning through advance level.