ABOUT NANTUCKET ATHENEUM
THE ISLAND’S UNIQUE LIBRARY
We are Nantucket’s free public library and gathering place, transforming lives with resources and experiences that support lifelong learning for all.
- We promote the joy and benefits of reading.
- We offer a warm and welcoming place for all community members to gather and connect.
- We protect freedom of information, your privacy, and the right to read.
- We make the most of donor support and are committed to our financial health.
- We engage on-island and virtual communities of all ages through classes, workshops, and events.
- We support our peer community organizations and recognize that working together maximizes our efforts.
- We both curate and make history, preparing our community for the future, while preserving and sharing our extraordinary past.
- We reach out to the entire community to create an organization that reflects our island’s rich diversity.
- We recognize and value the myriad contributions of our dedicated volunteers, who work side by side with us to promote and achieve our mission.
- We take care of our hardworking staff who create year-round learning opportunities that empower and inspire.
Both the town and the community share in the financial support of our unique library. The Atheneum receives 25% of its operating revenue from town and state governments, with the remaining 75% provided through individual and foundation donations. Each year, the library sponsors three fundraising events – the Annual Giving Campaign, the Cold Turkey Plunge on Thanksgiving Day, and the summer Nantucket Atheneum Dance Festival to raise critical operating revenue.
Committment to Excellence
Ensuring a high standard of excellence, the Nantucket Atheneum is certified by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC) and is a member of the Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing (CLAMS) network.