THE NANTUCKET ATHENEUM JOB OPPORTUNITIES
English Learner (EL) Advocate
Job Title: English Learner (EL) Advocate
Department: Adult Programs
Reports to: LVA Coordinator
FLSA: Non-exempt / Part-time, Regular
The EL Advocate represents the English learner community on Nantucket and is responsible for helping to advance the value of library services for diverse populations by engaging with the EL community, giving voice to diverse interests and aspirations, and assisting with development of supportive programs and services that benefit the EL and immigrant communities.
Essential Job Functions:
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
Multicultural Outreach and Collaboration
- Works with the LVA coordinator to frame plan of community outreach and needs assessment.
- Establishes and maintains connectivity and communication with Nantucket’s EL community by phone, online, and in-person meetings and programs.
- Listens and gives voice to diverse cultural interests and language learning objectives.
- Plans and facilitates opportunities that encourage people to actively help shape new programs.
- Collaborates with LVA coordinator and library staff to develop and implement initiatives welcoming and meaningful to the EL and immigrant communities. This may include patron resource materials and collections, adult and children’s multicultural programs, technological assistance, and other library services.
- Networks and collaborates with service providers on mutually aligned programs and services.
- Establishes system of electronic distribution of Atheneum programs and services, and relevant community information, to reach Nantucket EL and immigrant populations.
LVA Program Enrichment and Administration
- Builds awareness of free adult English language learning opportunities with EL community.
- Assists with updates of EL webpage, email notifications, flyers and other forms of outreach.
- Participates in program planning and development with LVA coordinator and volunteers.
- Provides support for in-person and online EL classes and preparation of resource materials.
- Facilitates Chromebook and wifi hotspot lending and setup for EL students.
- Participates in LVA potlucks and social gatherings, including setup.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills including, but not limited to Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Basic technical skills and familiarity with using Zoom and other video chat.
- Adept at using all forms of social media.
- Consistent punctuality, dependability, and flexibility to fill in as scheduling demands.
- Consistent attention to detail and accuracy in all aspects of work.
- Adherence to all personnel policies, procedures and rules contained in the Employee Handbook.
- Ability to maintain professional and cordial relationships with other staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- Ability to work in and contribute to culture of teamwork and cooperation.
- Ability to adapt to change and manage stressful situations professionally.
- Ability to manage a diverse group effectively and promote diversity.
- Demonstrate flexibility as priorities and deadlines shift, juggle multiple assignments.
- Treat people with respect.
- Accept both positive and negative constructive feedback from others and make adjustments to performance based on such feedback.
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to work independently.
- Be accountable for responsibilities of the position, meet deadlines, and live up to commitments.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Representative of English language learner community on Nantucket.
- Community engagement or similar experience preferred.
- Familiarity with library services and the Atheneum’s English language program helpful.
- Bilingual. English and Spanish or Portuguese preferred.
- Ability to engage in conversation.
- Good hearing and vision required.
- Ability to work in various library locations or at offsite library outreach events as necessary
- Strength to lift and carry a minimum of 35 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time to use computer workstation, including keyboard and visual display terminal.
- Normal office exposure to noise, stress, and interruptions.
Nothing in this Job Description restricts the Company’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. This position is at will, which means that either the employee or the Company may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice and for any reason or no reason.